North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Will might have started his career as a youngster, but he's always had an old soul. Thoughtful and inquisitive, Will is a climbing history buff whose admiration for the chronicles of routes and their founders is made clear in his own authentic process. The virtuoso crack climber is known for freeing the hardest route in the Bugaboos, the Tom Egan Memorial Route, although, freeing the three west faces of the Howser Towers in just a day might be one of his finest firsts. When Will isn’t stunting in movies or sending aesthetically pleasing and ridiculously hard cracks, he can be found guiding as an Association of Canadian Mountain Guides alpine guide certified rock guide or serenading stray dogs with Bob Dylan songs.
- Four free ascents of El Capitan, including The Prophet, 5.13+R, Yosemite, USA
- First free link up of the west faces of the Howser Towers in a day, with difficulties up to 5.12+, with Leo Houlding, 2017, both in Bugaboos, British Columbia, Canada
- First free ascent of the Tom Egan Memorial Route, 5.14, with Matt Segal, British Columbia, Canada, 2015
- Third free ascent of The Southern Belle, South Face of Half Dome, 5.12+R, with Alex Honnold, Yosemite, USA
- The Cobra Crack, Squamish, British Columbia, Canada, 5.14, 2009
- Free solos up to 5.12+ including the first free solos of Zap Crack and the Zombie Roof, Squamish, British Columbia, Canada
Words: Will Stanhope Photos: Will Stanhope and Jesse Huey Jesse Huey and I laid down our sleeping bags where the… Read more
Arc’teryx Climbing Academy 2018
The fourteenth annual Arc’teryx Climbing Academy has come to a close in the beautiful climbing mecca of Squamish, British Columbia…. Read more
Timeline Of The Bugaboos Triple Crown | Will Stanhope
Completing this project was a dream come true and I still feel dazed by the experience. On paper, it all added up, but I don’t think I’ve ever felt trepidation like that before. In the end, it was a perfect project: within reach, but barely.